Search Adventures in Poverty Blog

Sunday

Sunday....Sunday......

Why do you go to church? Really...think about it...Why do you go to church? Because you always have? Because you are trying to set a good example for your children? Why? It's not an easy question to answer for some of us. Is it easy for you? If I answer honestly...it is not easy for me to say. I know what I like about church. I like seeing my church family. I like the chit chat...you know..."how are you?" and " what have you been up to?" I even like to discuss the weather if nothing else with my church family. I like knowing there is an extended family of mine that I can call on if I need too. I like to know that they would pray for me if I needed them to. But is all that why I go to church? I don't think so. It is a big part, but it's not the entire reason. The real reason makes me a bit uncomfortable.... it's hard to talk about....so here goes...... I go to church partly because there is a level of superiority attached to it. Yep, I feel superior! It sounds arrogant, but I don't intend it to be that way. When I walk into church I feel empowered! I feel like I am protected! I feel....well....important. I matter! If to no one else in the building but to God himself...I matter! And I can sail on that feeling all week long. The sermon is a bonus, the camaraderie is a bonus, the company of family is ...well..a bonus. I go to church for the plain high of it! There is still much more I like about church. Like ....coffee hour...free homemade goodies and coffee produced by some of the best bakers I know. I like the nursery, it's great for me to get a break and really be able to absorb the whole experience of church. For me church is my positive outlook amplified with lots of extras. What is church to you? Why do you attend? Think about, you might be surprised, and if nothing else enlightened.

No comments:

Join With Me!!

Summer on the back porch

Summer on the back porch